Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Grateful

After two days of working 12.5 hours shifts, I am really enjoying having my feet up today! Seriously, I think most of the nurses I worked with are in fact robots, as they don't drink, pee or sit down at all in 12.5 hours, I'm surprised how well I did though :D As well as feeling glad to be sitting down, I am also grateful that I don't have to breathe through a tube in my throat or eat through a tube in my stomach, that my bed is quiet and comfortable and that I don't have to have any surgery any time soon. I do really feel for all those poor patients stuck back on the ward. I learned so so much in the first two days and did get thrown in the deep end a bit..which was great! I'd assumed I'd be just making beds and doing observations but I got to take some surgical staples out, give an injection and take out Venflons (those tubes they put in a vein in your hand) Also watched the nurses doing all the really technical stuff...and boy is there a lot to learn. The paperwork is mountainous, confusing and illogical, is in ten different places and ten different computer systems, it is going to take forever to get the hang of! It's also annoying that the nurses have such a complex paperwork system to deal with that is so time consuming and wasteful. One day maybe they will get a nice online system and each nurse could just have a little handheld computer..you could just log into a patients details, drug charts, obs chart, feeding chart, weight chart, fluid chart, falls risk chart, notes all in one place! It's pretty amazing that Google has all the software I need, for free, that works beautifully, all joined up, yet a huge organization like the NHS which spends millions on IT can't have a decent system, it was honestly just like my old DOS computer. They had at least 5 different things they had to log into on different computers all with different passwords..just crazy. I dunno, maybe one day I'll invent a system and get my database hubby to build it and we can make a mint :D

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad your loving it and not feeling overwhelmed... some nurses are wired to deal with long shifts and some aren't, you get the hang of it. As for the paperwork... f*cking nightmare innit (sounded a bit common then ooo) but you honestly get the hang of it very fast... care plans, writing same shit in notes, then handover notes, then online trail, then the millions of different coloured bits of paper, by the end of the first placement you will know how to write each one with your eyes closed! As for the computer system, it's a long way off yet... perish the thought of nurses actually getting nursing tasks done!

    Mary xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, Props for mentioning a DOS system whilst simultaneously being a female and a nurse, and a blogger, I don't feel so alone afterall.... Just downloaded the alchemy game onto my phone like the one on MS-DOS... memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed relaxing, 12.5 hour days sound like a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew, glad you made it:) Those shifts are killer.

    ReplyDelete