Tuesday, 21 December 2010

The Date Is Set

I'm still hanging on in there in work, although I am so tired and really wish I could knock it on the head already. But still there are only 5 more shifts to go, and it means I don't have to go back until next October hopefully so should be worth it. The hospital is very busy at the moment as you can imagine with swine flu and broken limbs from people falling in the snow. I'm feeling very glad that I chose to have my flu vaccine! As it's so busy we are having patients from all over the place as they are fitting them in wherever they can. Last shift we even had a gyne patient, 6 weeks pregnant in with severe morning sickness. She was very thin anyways and probably didn't eat very much at the best of times and she had ketones in her urine which is not a good sign. I was with her when they examined her and could clearly see the stretch marks from a previous pregnancy, she was really anxious and I saw her looking at me and looking away. I had a suspicion and read back a little bit in her notes and she had had a stillbirth 3 years before, her first baby. I felt so so bad for being so obviously pregnant and being the one looking after her, I know all too well how harsh it is being around heavily pregnant people. I chatted with her a little later on and found out that the current baby is as a result or their first round of IVF and she asked me about my baby, the usual chit chat. I so wanted to say how sorry I was for her loss and that I had lost a baby too and that I understood how anxious she was, but I just couldn't figure a way to bring it up. Two of the other nurses on my ward have suffered losses too, one lost 2 at 6 months due to an incompetent cervix and another lost a baby to anencephaly. I never would have known about that but of course people ask why I am still having scans and stuff, it's amazing how many people have lost babies and how little it is talked about unless the topic crops up.
In other news, I had my last scan and baby is looking happy and healthy at the moment :D The consultant was like "so when do you want to have this baby?" and I said as soon as it is safe to! So I am booked in for induction at 38 weeks...10th January, which is just 3 weeks away..omg! I'm happy but nervous and pretty much counting down the hours now!!! Just gotta make 3 more weeks *deep breath*


5 comments:

  1. Praying the next three weeks fly right on by for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you don't know how to bring up a loss with patients, at least you are sensitive to their experience. That's huge.
    Wow, three weeks! Will be thinking of you...you're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10th jan is my hubby's birthday - a good day!

    glad the end of the shifts is in sight :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only two more weeks! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope these last weeks pass quickly and peacefully for you.

    I'm so sorry to read about the lady that you were looking after. I've been surprised by how many people I know have lost babies but never mentioned it before I lost G.

    Thinking of you and hoping for you xo

    ReplyDelete